Falls Church Episcopal Church
Name: Falls Church Episcopal Church
Class: House of Worship
County: Falls Church (city), Virginia, U.S.A.
U.S. Board on Geographic Names ID: 1492110
Falls Church Episcopal Church is located at:
Elevation 97 meters above sea level, in
Falls Church (city), Virginia, U.S.A.
The first church was built, just to the south of the current building, in Truro Parish in 1734. The name originated because it was located "near the falls" of the Potomac River. The name of the community developed around the church and adopted the name Falls Church. In 1763, church wardens George Washington and George William Fairfax were given the responsibility of contracting for a new church building. The brick building was designed and built by Colonel James Wren and was completed in 1769. It is the oldest church building north of Quantico. (Wolf Run Studios Calendar of historical places 1998)
Sometimes the street addresses given by Google Maps are approximate.
Source: U.S. Board on Geographic Names.
If this name is incorrect or outdated, help them update their data:
U.S. Board on Geographic Names.
(Or the institution may write to them on official letterhead.)
|Hint: The State death record may give the name of the cemetery; the State marriage record, the name of the house of worship.|